You Might Just Be From a Small Town If ...
- You hate the neighboring town during high school football season, but hang out with them after the season's over.
- You or one of your friends accidently dated a distant relative without knowing they were family.
- There's a farm directly across the street from your high school and everyone's driving their tractors and combines on a daily basis around town and even to school!
- You can name everyone you graduated with.
- You know what 4-H is.
- You ever went to parties at a pasture, barn, or in the middle of a dirt road.
- You used to drag "main."
- You said the 'f' word and your parents knew within the hour.
- You ever went cow-tipping or snipe hunting.
- School gets canceled for the opening of hunting/fishing season.
- It was cool to date someone from the neighboring town.
- But the town next to you is considered "trashy" or "snooty", although it's actually just like your town.
- You had senior skip day.
- A third of the guys in your high school wanted to become car mechanics after high school.
- Your car stays filthy because of the dirt roads, and you will never own a dark vehicle for this reason.
- Anyone you want can be found at either the Dairy Queen (Tastee Freeze) or the feed store. (Or, if you grew up in Saranac like I did, it was the SaraSnack.)
- You see at least one friend a week driving a tractor through town.
- Football coaches suggest that you haul hay for the summer to get stronger.
- Directions are given using "the" stop light as a reference (whenever one existed).
- Or you don't give directions by street names but rather by local landmarks (...past the water tower til you see the high school, then right at the church...).
- Your letter jacket was worn after your 19th birthday.
- You decide to walk somewhere for exercise and 5 people pull over and ask if you need a ride.
- Your teachers call you by your older siblings names.
- Your teachers remember when they taught your parents.
- When someone gets pulled over the whole town drives by at least twice.
- Everyone else hears it on their scanners.
- Almost everyone in your school also has a cousin in your school.
- Your only newspaper was a weekly.
- You never waited long at stop lights, but regularly waited 15 minutes at the railroad crossings.
- If you were ever pulled out of a snow drift by your neighbor on his tractor.
- If your standard summer job was baling hay, picking rocks, or pitching manure.
- Your town doesn't have a mayor, but rather a President (of the village council).
- The village council meets at the coffee shop.
- You schedule parties around the work schedule of different police officers, since you know which ones would bust you and which ones wouldn't - same goes with the game warden and hunting.
- You were ever in the Homecoming parade.
- The whole school went to the same party after graduation.
- You can't help but date a friend's ex-girlfriend.
- Getting paid minimum wage is considered a raise.
- The people in the city dress funny, then you pick-up on the trend two years later.
- You can charge at all the local stores without a credit card.
- The closest McDonald's is 45 miles away.
- So is the closest mall.
- You marched in the American Legion's Memorial Day Parade.
- You steal a speed limit sign and nobody notices.
- You move out of your parents house and into your first apartment and the post office forwards your mail without you asking them to.
- You laugh your butt off reading this because you know they're true and forward the list to everyone who lives in your town - because you know them all!!
If you would like to add your own favorite to this list, send it along to me at
and I'll consider it.
Back to the Michi-Fun Page.
This page is maintained by Ryan Simmons, at .
Updated in July 2006